Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Why I Volunteer at Meals on Wheels

Why I Volunteer at Meals on Wheels
by Michael A Gelb

Why I volunteer at Meals on Wheels,
I do it to help people receive meals.
I had to get a photo id
This is for the people’s safety
At first I thought of it as just something to do
After that first day I realized that wasn’t true
I deliver a meal to the elderly and I do it with care
Some of the elderly may be in a wheelchair
The hot food is carried in a hot insulated bag
The cold food is carried in a cold insulated bag
It’s a good feeling to volunteer
The people appreciate that we care
I knock at the door and yell hello
I also check on them before I go
A stranger had said to me, thank you
She was thanking me for what I do
It’s a good feeling to volunteer
This is something we Americans do to show we care

No comments:

Post a Comment